Troops raid alleged IPOB/ESN strongholds in Anambra, recover IED-making materials
Army
Abdullateef Fowewe
The Nigerian Army has confirmed that the troops of the Joint Task Force South East, Operation UDO KA, have dismantled alleged strongholds linked to the Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network (IPOB/ESN) in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State, recovering weapons and materials believed to be used for making improvised explosive devices.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the Army said the operation was carried out with the Maritime Component, the Department of State Services and the Anambra Vigilante Group in Obene and Abator villages, within the Ochuche and Umunankwo communities.
“On sighting the advancing troops, the terrorists opened fire before abandoning their positions and fleeing into the surrounding terrain,” the statement said.
The Army said troops returned fire and pursued the fleeing suspects, adding that blood stains along their escape route suggested that some had suffered gunshot wounds.
“During the pursuit, troops neutralised one of the terrorists, while other fleeing members escaped with the corpse of another neutralised member,” it said.
According to the statement, the joint operation dislodged the group from the identified locations, which security forces said had been used as operational bases for attacks in the area.
Items recovered during the raid included two pump-action guns, two motorcycles and IED-making materials, alongside other unspecified items.
“The seizure of the explosive-making materials represents a significant operational gain,” the Army said, adding that the recovery had further weakened the group’s alleged capacity to produce explosive devices for attacks against security personnel, infrastructure, and civilians.
The military said troops had consolidated their positions and expanded operations in surrounding areas to track down fleeing suspects and prevent any regrouping.
“The Nigerian Army in conjunction with other security agencies through Joint Task Force South East, Operation UDO KA, remains committed to sustaining pressure on terrorist and criminal networks across the South East,” the statement added.
